Former Inter Milan wonderkid Obafemi Martins remains the youngest Nigerian player to score in the UEFA Champions League, a record that has never been broken for the past thirteen years.
The FC Ebedei product was aged 18 years, 4 months, 19 days when he achieved the feat back in the 2002-2003 season, specifically March 19, 2003, when his left-footed shot gave Inter Milan the lead in their 2-0 win over Bayer Leverkusen.
Ex-Ajax Amsterdam hero Nwankwo Kanu had been the previous holder of this record until it was surpassed by Martins.
He clocks in at number two thanks to his 34th minute goal against Hadjuk Split on March 15, 1995, aged 18 years, 7 months, 11 days, while defending the colours of the Eredivisie powerhouse.
Manchester City striker Kelechi Iheanacho ranks fifth on the list . He was 19 years, 11 months and 11 days when he found the back of the net against Borussia Mönchengladbach about a month ago.
Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Daniel Amokachi, Yussuf Ayila, Victor Ikpeba, Ahmed Musa, Lucky Idahor and John Utaka made the top ten youngest players to score in the Champions League.
Youngest Nigerian Players To Score In Champions League
1) Obafemi Martins - Inter Milan - 18 years, 4 months, 19 days
2) Nwankwo Kanu - Ajax Amsterdam - 18 years, 7 months, 11 days
3) Yakubu Aiyegbeni - Maccabi Haifa - 19 years, 10 months, 2 days
4) Daniel Amokachi - Club Brugge - 19 years, 10 months, 26 days
5) Kelechi Iheanacho - Man City - 19 years, 11 months, 11 days
6) Ayila Yussuf - Dynamo Kiev - 19 years, 11 months, 30 days
7) Victor Ikpeba - Monaco - 20 years, 4 months, 8 days
8) John Utaka - RC Lens - 20 years, 8 months, 16 days
9) Lucky Idahor - Dynamo Kiev - 21 years 12 days
10) Ahmed Musa - CSKA Moscow - 21 years, 1 month, 26 days
Information is Power