Stats: 2505 members, 8488 topics. Date: Monday, 18th June 2018 at 2:33am

Welcome Guest!

Five Kenyan Teenagers Develope I-Cut App To Help FGM Victims

0 Replies

Five Kenyan Teenagers Develope I-Cut App To Help FGM Victims by
Godwinsilas . male On Aug 5, 2017

Five Kenyan teenagers who wants to end Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) has come up with an application called I-Cut, which will provide girls access to legal and medical assistance, on FGM in their country.

The app will serve as a health resource to victims by providing medical advice and info on closest rescue centres. The app also has a distress button which will alert authorities, any girl being forced to undergo FGM can be rescue with the help of the app immediately.

FGM is illegal in Kenya yet it is still widely practised as a cultural requirement before marriage. The non-medical procedures has a lot of health effects without any health benefit. Depending on the procedure effects include recurrent infections, difficulty in urinating and passing menstrual flow, chronic pain, the development of cysts, and inability to get pregnant, complications during childbirth, and fatal bleeding. Besides these, girls who have been cut are less likely to finish school which obviously decreases their employment prospects.

The app has now won them a place in the 2017 Technovation Challenge, a competition which will be held in Silicon Valley, towards the end of August, 2017.

The team which is called ‘The Restores’ includes Stacy Owino, Cynthia Otieno, Purity Achieng, Mascrine Atieno, and Ivy Akinyi, is the only team accepted in

The team which is called ‘The Restores’ includes Stacy Owino, Cynthia Otieno, Purity Achieng, Mascrine Atieno, and Ivy Akinyi, is the only team accepted in the only team accepted in Africa to compete at the 2017 Technovation Challenge.

Technovation Challenge, is sponsored by Google, Verizon, and the United Nations. If they win, they will go home with $15,000 which will go a long way in helping them to continue I-Cut development.

“FGM is a big problem affecting girls worldwide and it is a problem we want to solve,” Stacy Owino told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

Concerning them winning the competition, she said “This whole experience will change our lives. Whether we win or not, our perspective of the world and the possibilities it has will change for the better,”.

It’s our mission to “restore hope to hopeless girls.” Cynthia Otieno comment.

According to World Health Organisation (WHO), more than 200 million girls are still subjected to this practice, in Africa, Middle East and Asia countries.

Kenyan 1 to 4 women is estimated to have been forced to undergo the procedure. The physical and psychological impact is devastating and in some cases can lead to death.

Source: https://www.leaption.com/five-kenyan-teenagers-develope-cut-app-help-fgm-victims/

How hard I've hustled, how hard I've tried, how I never gave up, how I wanna succeed.

Currently viewing this : 1 guest